Sunday, March 13

Sea Lamprey

Sea Lamprey have nearly destroyed trout populations in water bodies as big as the great lakes and now I believe to have found a population in my neck of the woods.

The sea lamprey is a nasty little anadromous parasite, it has no Jaw but with rows of hooked teeth and a cutting tongue it latches on to fish and consumes them while they swim. Most times the host fish dies while the lamprey feeds on its flesh but other times the lamprey may drop off leaving a fish to die of infection or stress. Either way I have acquired a strong distaste for the sea lamprey.

If these two photo's prove the presents of sea lamprey in Benton pond is not for me to decide but the photos speak for them selves. This first pic you may of seen in my blog Troutopsy. http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/users/fishindan/blog/troutopsy-a-look-in-side-the-stomach--71549.aspx  It may or may not be a sea lamprey but it has plenty of teeth and fits the description.



It was pulled from the stomach of a trout landed in the same location as this next trout that seems to have been attacked by a lamprey.





One sea lamprey can kill over 100 lbs of fish in it's life span before returning to spawn and die in a water bodies rivers and streams. The thought of it makes me sick and unlike a poacher unfortunately there is nothing I can do to stop it, Unless I can figure a way to catch them...FishinDan

No comments:

Post a Comment