Friday, March 4

Circle's of Sustainability



Circle hooks are nothing new to the fishing industry on the national scale but locally here on the island the old J style hooks still come standard on most tackle available for purchase.

 It is common knowledge that trout suck in their prey item's. Often times while feeding on or near the surface trout swallow before they head back to the lower portion of the water column rarely taking just a nibble. This form of feeding leads too far to many gill and gut hooked trout after the set leaving them unfit to be released.

Circle hooks basically put a end to the problem. Because the hooks tip sits at 90 degrees to the shank It must come in contact with a edge and roll into position for a positive hook set.  Amongst the gills there is very little surface area to set a circle hook unless it literally tangles within the gill structure.



 The industry tells us that circle hooks should only catch fish around the jaw but after using the Mustad demon circle hooks during this years ice fishing season I can tell you for certain these hooks work better than any J style hook available on the market today hooking trout everywhere but the gills.

Every year as I grow older I tend to release more of the trout I catch and every time I gill a small salmon parr with an old J hook while trout fishing it bothers me a great deal. Circle hooks are the answer for me and for you no matter if your a catch and release fisherman or just looking for a few to fill the pan. These hooks can and will greatly decrease the death rates for trout and salmon parr intended to be released.

 The most important topic to me personally as pertaining to circle hooks is atlantic salmon hooked as bi-catch during the ice fishing season. These fish are feeding hard getting ready to head back to the ocean come spring. Gut hooking salmon happens far to often on the ice and circle hooks are again the answer to the problem. 



We as a people and province can change the way things are done. A rally behind circle hooks will change our fishery for the better and show support for the various groups who put forth a great deal of under appreciated effort to maintain and restore this provinces fisheries.

.Just recently I became involved with STRACC or the Salmon and trout restoration association of conception bay central inc. STRACC is doing great work to repair  the damage done to fish and their habitat going as far as to set up outdoor classrooms on the river to educate the public.Over time I will post the groups projects and some of the previous efforts put forth by STRACC to protect and restore the resource.

A big thank you to Arch Pitcher for getting me involved with STRACC and thank you all for reading. Untill next time tight lines...FishinDan 

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Dan, Its wonderful to see others have discover the value of the Circle hook !
    And how it protects fish, there is also a bonus when using Circles, fish accept the fly with greater ease, in fact I've had fish swim away with the fly in their mouth, towing the leader and fly line behind them, there was no rejection of the fly, that was till I stopped the fly line with my hand, with the result, the Circle then engaged the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .

    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.

    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a
    variety of websites for about a year and am worried about
    switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any help would be really appreciated!


    Check out my webpage 24option review

    ReplyDelete