Friday, March 4

Talking Trout



From time to time I wonder what I can do about the decline in our trout stocks. Wondering why the government turns a blind eye to the their destruction in the most easily accessible road side ponds. Perhaps the fear of losing a single tourism dollar by admitting the truth reduces them to the point of anguish.

This governments blind eye turned to the problem infuriates me leaving me to wonder again what can I do to make a difference. I started by using circle hooks and going as far as giving them to the friends that have fished with me so far this season. But knowing that circle hooks are a effective catch and release tool and convincing others to use and pay the extra money are worlds apart.

So where to begin and what are the first goals needed to be achieved? I figure before I can ask people to use a special hook to release fish I want to know what they are doing during their time on the water.

Across the pages on facebook that are concerning fishing in Newfoundland I have been posting a question that has made it as far as the attention of Bill Spicer.

While fishing for trout in our province of Newfoundland do you catch and release after you fill your quota or do you just pack it in and go home? This question is intentionally misleading what I really want to know is how many people mention being strict catch and release advocates with out being asked directly.

Here are the comments I received back from my question.

 I leave when I catch my limit, don't believe in catch and release, it's harassment of stocks in my opinion, though I do release Brook Trout in ponds where they're scarce.

I think catch & release is less harassing than catch kill. Which way would you rather be treated?


Some people loved to tell stories of bringing home 120 trout only to let them freezer burn and throw them out later.From my earliest memories my father was an advocate for catch and release and not killing something you're not gonna eat.He said if we catch em all today there won't be any for the future.Something I teach my sons today! Pass it on!

I release all wild trout & salmon I catch.

The number of times i have heard well, my grandfather & father poached trout and Atlantic Salmon why can't I. Well the law states that poaching is not legal, I like the steep fines i'm seeing from NL these days. Long over due. I've practiced catch and release since the '80's and have no problem putting healthy fish back when i think about the " fun of the fight". Let's try and get our natural resources back in good shape for the benefit of our children and grand children.

 People here don't ge it ; salmon and trout are a finite resource!! When you and I go fishing, we measure our success by the quality of the whole experience. The others justify their existence by bringing home their catch to brag!

Bill Spicer - Last year I had the best fishing of my life bar none in Newfoundland and Labrador. Your fish stocks were unbelievable!!! To not practice catch and release seems to be counter productive. You must protect what you have from the meat hunting mentality, it will destroy what you have.

Gentlemen, we only catch and kill because it is a tradition from a by gone era when there was little food here. It was force fed on us that salmon and trout were our God-given right to kill. My friends, we are so blessed to live where we do, and to have the freedoms we have. Being able to leave something for the next generation is one of the greatest gifts of all!

Some good comments were given and I must say I like the passion of the anglers bent on leaving something for the children.  A big Tight Lines to the people that unknowingly took part in this process.

When you get offline and hit the pond it is a different story. For example just two days ago I spent time speaking with a group of fishermen. It was the regular topics like tackle, weather, water depth and a myriad of others.



During that conversation my bud Tod landed a nice Brookie. After the photo I asked Tod for the fish. He handed it over while asking what I was intending to do. I said to him that I wanted to see the response of the other fisherman when I release the largest trout of the day. Before that Brookie hit the water I heard the murmurs. One man with no fish to show for his efforts asked me if I was mental and continued on to ask for any other trout I might land.

I respectfully told him no and then explained that I am a Ambassador for WFN and the goals I wish to achieve concerning our trout stocks. I went on speaking about some of the things I have seen over the years and how our attitudes and notions toward  the trout need to change. One man agreed that change is necessary and recant several experiences of his own much like the comments about bringing home 120 trout in a trip.

The truth is that In this area closest to my home I rarely  see any trout go back in fact sometimes I don't see anything good at all.

You are welcome to draw you own conclusions from the information I have provided but for me I think we still have a long way to go to changing our attitude. For now promoting circle hooks as a great catching tool a little more than a releasing tool may get them into some of the more stubborn anglers tackle bags and that's a good place to start. Tight Lines...FishinDan

No comments:

Post a Comment