Friday, March 18

Times Change




I have had a great season thus far landing plenty of brookies and with the addition of the Mustad demon circle to my arsenal this year has seen a higher percentage of healthy brookies released unharmed than ever before.

My personal best brookie is still intact from last season, a fine 4.5 lbs that I will no doubt spend a great deal of the spring months working hard to beat. But this post wont be concerned with highlights. Instead it will lend some time to the past and something that was lost.

When I was a boy the spring was my favorite time of year. With fishing poles made from spruce and fresh earth worms dug from the vegetable garden we gathered around the first big hole to form in the ice.

Trout were plentiful in those holes, warm weather and fresh spring run off pouring from the bogs and small streams made for the perfect conditions.Year after year I visited the same brooks fishing the same holes until eventually the constant rate of yearly rising temperatures pushed my favorite time of year into the closed season.

It didn't happen over night. At first it was just off by a few days and we could catch the tail end of the real good fishing. Then over the years myself and the temperatures both continued to grow. I moved on from the spruce pole and the ice edge while the memories of those good times began to fade

There is one month between the winter and spring trout seasons here on the island. Over my short time here on this earth I have seen my favorite childhood activity fade away into the closed season and now return again.

But this time around it comes in the winter season and as troubling as it is that such radical changes can occure it will be nice to get on the edge for a few fish. Maybe I will make a new pole for old times sake and for sure get plenty of pictures. Till next time tight lines...FishinDan.

No comments:

Post a Comment