Friday, March 25

Trophy Talk



What makes a great fish? Is it merely size that excites the mind or rather a culmination of the  events leading up to that magical moment when you finally hold a true trophy.

A great fish is always complimented with a equally great story. No matter if it's a tale of terrible weather and lapse bite, full of cold extremities with wet clothes that dampen the spirit till the moment when the big one finally  took the bait and all woes were quickly forgotten.

Maybe your trophy was the stoic end to a beautiful day on the river landing the salmon of a lifetime in a fading light . No matter how your trophy story played out  one thing is for sure, it's a euphoric experience well worth the wait.

My most memorable trophy fish came at the end of a extensive search for something believed to be unattainable with any rate of consistence. My area doesn't hold a large steak in this provinces reputation for having trophy brook trout populations.  Labrador is most deserving and gets that title.

Of coarse we do have big trout in our area but the average is around a half pound with two pounders being the usual goal. On rare occasions you may hear tell of a 4 or 5 pounder but it is usually exaggerated in size and weighed on imaginary scales. Basically I am allergic to B.S. and some anglers nearly kill me.

After chasing rumors for years, constantly wondering if I would ever settle into or even find a honey hole stuffed with big Brookies we stumble upon what I will call for protection purposes T pond.

After losing a trout because I froze in a state of admiration at it's shear size and power, the first trip home from T pond was filled with plans to return and ended with the one that got away stories for our families.

Three days later we were back and this time we had a boat. After picking a spot along the edge of a granite drop off we started to catch some fish.

Tossing Lucky Strike spinners in a bright light with a slow retrieve 2 pound Brookies quickly became to my amazement to be the average. Over the next few trips we landed plenty of big Brookies between 3 and 4 pounds but it's  the fish in my photo that weighed 4lb 8 oz with a 23.5 inch length and a sweet girth I am most proud of.

 That fish is a monster in these parts and there are plenty more where he came from. I have entered this Brookie in the My trophy fish sweepstakes offered by WFN. Please help me out and follow the link then hit the rating button.  http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/contests/my-trophy-fish/entries/details.aspx?entryid=82030 If you already have hit the button I want to thank you and also congratulate you for any trophy you may have landed. Till next time tight lines...FishinDan

No comments:

Post a Comment